Sticky Black Garlic and Tofu Veggie Stir-Fry
Serves : 4
Time : 20 minutes
- 350g firm tofu
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp tamari / soy sauce
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 4 cloves Black Garlic, crushed
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 5cm piece ginger, peeled and
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 300g chestnut mushrooms
- Olive oil, for frying
To serve, optional
- Brown rice
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Spring onions, finely sliced
1. Remove the tofu from its packaging and drain. Chop into 2cm cubes and place onto a piece of clean kitchen roll. (The drier your tofu is before going into the pan the crispier it will get).
2. Use the back of a kitchen knife to crush the black garlic cloves. Place into a small bowl with the tamari, toasted sesame oil, maple syrup chilli powder and 2 tablespoons of water. Whisk to combine.
3. Place a frying pan over medium high heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil. Add the tofu cubes with a sprinkle of salt. Cook for 5-6 minutes, tossing occasionally, until golden brown and crispy.
4. Remove to a side plate and return the frying pan to the heat.
Add another tablespoon of olive oil. Once hot and shimmering add the mushrooms with a sprinkle of salt. Cook for 7-8 minutes, until dark golden brown and reduced. Add the onions, ginger and broccoli and cook for 3-4 minutes, until the broccoli is tender and the onion is softened.
5. Pour the sauce over the contents of the pan along with the crispy tofu. Cook for 2-3 minutes until everything is glossy and coated.
Serve with brown rice, and a sprinkle of spring onions and toasted sesame seeds