Lentil, Mushroom and Black Garlic Bolognese
Serves - 4
Time - 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 300g chestnut mushrooms
- 4 Original Black Garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 150g red lentils
- 400ml tomato passata
- 400ml water
- 1 tbsps. balsamic vinegar
- 300g pasta
- Fresh basil
- Parmesan cheese, optional
1. Place a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Add the olive oil, onion, carrots and celery with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, for 7-8 minutes until reduced.
3. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, for 7-8 minutes until reduced.
4. Use a knife to crush the Black Garlic cloves. Add to the pan and stir, allowing the garlic to melt into the vegetables.
5. Add the tomato puree and paprika. Cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
6. Add the lentils, passata and water. Cook, stirring often for 10-15 minutes until the lentils are tender and the sauce has thickened.
7. While the sauce is simmering bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Cook the pasta until al dente.
8. Add the cooked pasta to the pot of Bolognese with a splash of the cooking liquid. Add the balsamic vinegar and stir over the heat for 1 minute, until glossy.