Black Garlic and mushroom risotto
For the mushrooms:
- 300g button or chestnut mushrooms -quartered
- 25g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp Black Garlic paste
- Salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp spoon chopped parsley
For the Risotto:
- 125g arborio rice
- 2 tbsp spoon olive oil
- 2 banana shallots or 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 50ml white wine
- 2 cloves Black Garlic
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 6 asparagus spears - cut into 1cm pieces
- 20g parmesan - grated
- Salt & pepper
1. Heat a heavy based pan with the olive oil and butter and add the quartered mushrooms. Stir and allow to cook gently until the mushrooms are soft and dark. Add the Black Garlic paste and the seasoning - stir well and finish with the parsley. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Wash the pan from the mushrooms and place on a low heat then add the olive oil. Add the risotto to the warm oil and stir whilst turning the heat to medium, this will cause the rice to crack slightly in order to release the starch required for a creamy risotto. Take care not to brown the rice at this point.
3. Next, add the chopped shallots and turn the heat back down to low. Add the wine and allow to reduce to almost gone - keep stirring!
Now start adding the warm stock a little at a time whilst continuously stirring the rice, the mixture should be simmering constantly.
Keep adding the stock until around a quarter remains add the asparagus then check the rice by placing a few grains in your mouth - they should be soft but not mushy.
4. Once the rice is done add the sliced black garlic, the grated parmesan and the mushrooms and stir together.
Garnish with optional parmesan shavings and chopped chives check for seasoning and adjust.